Monday, April 11, 2016

Assignment Three: Share Your Writing Life

Chapter 3: Share Your Writing Life
• Write together as a staff
• Note your writing practices
• Tell students why you write

Chapter Two of Regie’s book segues right into her third chapter, “Share Your Writing Life.” In this chapter Regie drives home the importance of teachers sharing their writing process with their students. She encourages teachers to become writers in front of their students, on their own and with their staff, and also to share their daily writing practices with their students. The purpose of the assignment below (Assignment #3) is to get you writing.

 
ASSIGNMENT THREE: Sharing Your Writing Life!
For many of us, writing is not enjoyable and/or is very difficult. Perhaps it is because we ourselves were never celebrated as writers. Or perhaps we only remember the “skills” based comments written in various colored pens on our papers…that always sliced deep (and turned many of us into “non-writers.”) These comments never really helped our writing become any better. As a requirement of a summer writing institute (which I was conned into attending “so that I could become a better teacher of writing”) I (Jackie) bit the bullet and wrote extensively throughout the course. What they say is true: the more I wrote, the more I enjoyed it, and I believe I grew as a writer. The goal of this two-part assignment is to get you writing.

Part One:
For the first part of this assignment you need to think about topics for your own writing (ideas/stories that you can share to excite your students) and then actually write a short piece (ideally in front of your students.) If you do not presently have the opportunity to write in front of your students then please complete the activity on your own.

1. Use the topic idea list from Regie’s “Try It and Apply It” on page 26. Choose several topics, and then create a list of sub-topics for each.

2. Choose the sub-topic that most interests you and write a short piece that you can use to model writing in front of your students.

Part Two:
1. On pages 45-46, Regie gives suggestions for writing exercises for the start of school (or really anytime you need to get writing started.) Follow her criteria for “Capturing A Moment” (from the summer or any other time ) and draft a short piece. Follow the directions in the chart on page 46.

2. After completing the draft, which should take no more than 10 minutes, take a moment to write down some of your observations of your writing process. Again, use the suggestions from the chart or the bullets below:

o What are you thinking about as you are composing?
o What exactly did you do to plan, to get started writing, when you got stuck, or when you completed your piece?
o What does your process look like? Do you write straight through? Stop to re-read? Revise as you go? Look up information? Edit?

The goal of this activity is to get you to write - which will hopefully get you more comfortable writing in front of your children! Complete this activity and let us know how it went by sharing your answers to some of the bulleted questions above.

Please post your comments to the course blog. (We don’t need to see your writing piece. We are more interested in your thought process as you completed the exercise.)

4 comments:



  1. For this activity I did choose to write in front of my class. As I was composing, my mind was split between considering the piece I as writing - trying choose my words well, etc, and as well as on student behavior. I was trying to do all I could to keep my students engaged - I made myself think out loud (about what I was writing), I stepped away from the board and stood in the middle of my students to re-read several times, kept an element of drama as I spoke and demonstrated.

    To plan I just did as Reggie said she did in one of her examples, I jotted down a few ideas I thought I most likely would include on a sticky note. I did this about an hour before hand, and I showed my students my sticky note with our doc cam. I don’t feel like I had a particular method for getting started, I just did. When I got stuck though I went back and reread what I already had outloud, and that helped me to continue.

    I do not write straight through. I stop and reread about every other sentence. I revise things that irritate me as I go, certain misspellings, or things that looks bad in my eyes and would distract me if I left them.
    Overall it was a good activity I felt. Good for me, and at least I think it was interesting for my students. The jury is out though as to how much it affected their writing because I just did the activity yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it going now? Have you tried writing in front of the students again? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not written in front of my students again, but we did write a shared letter to a guest who had come in. That I thought was a valuable experience for the students and I look forward to trying this more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, I think it will be a great activity for you and your students. :D

    ReplyDelete