Monday, March 30, 2015

Welcome Summer 2015 Students!

Hello and Welcome to our Course.

One of the benefits of the blog format for online courses is the discourse between students. We post only one or two assignments at a time in order to foster communication between the course participants.

If you do work ahead you will need to post your reflection on the blog when the corresponding assignment is posted.

If you have a question please email us and put "Question" or "REPLY NEEDED" in the subject line so we can get back to you in a timely fashion. We frequently scan our inbox for questions but wait to reply to assignments for when we have a good chunk of time. If there is no notation in the subject line of the email, we assume it is just an assignment.

A couple of notes:

We suggest you save your work in a word processing document before posting to the blog. There have been times where something happens and a post may disappear. (Having this saved makes it easier to repost.)

Some students have experienced problems posting using Firefox. There are work-arounds, but the easiest is just to use a different browser.

In order to make the blog easier to read, and more likely that other students will read and respond to your posts, we ask that you keep your assignment to the one allotted post.
You are free to work ahead on the assignments and save them on your computer until we post on the blog.

All work due  8/21
Grades available online 9/3


Here is the address to TINT's FAQ page which may have some useful information for you:
http://www.tint-edu.com/crbst_5.html
We look forward to learning and working with you this term. :D

4 comments:

  1. Introduction

    My name is Irene Sussman. I live and teach in a small university city in Oregon. This is my third year of teaching. The first two were kindergarten and last year I moved up to first grade; a much better fit for me! I love teaching although at times I do find it exhausting! A big part of that is there is so much for me to learn. I am absolutely blessed with having an amazing first grade PLC team to work with. It’s through their experience that I see how far I would still like to take myself; their knowledge and commitment to excellence is a daily inspiration to me.
    My District does have an adopted reading/writing curriculum, Houghton Mifflin. Last year I intermittently used the writing from our curriculum and I also attempted to use “Month by Month Writing.” It was difficult wading through all of the information to hone what was best for the class. This is why I’m so excited to be taking this class. I feel as though writing was a subject that I didn’t grasp well enough to be an effective model/guide for my students.
    When I’m not teaching I enjoy hiking, walking, camping, gardening, reading, friends and family (I have an amazing husband, three wonderful daughters and five siblings). And, I enjoy really good coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you had me at really good coffee ;) I'm drinking some Sleep Monk RIGHT NOW :) I can't agree with you more about collaboration, either! I NEED to have a PLC in order to review student work and create more instruction! I have always been pretty lucky in that department. I am curious what Month by Month writing is? Also, do you find that the Houghton Mifflin connects to the Common Core? Excited to learn with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,
    The writing book is, "Month by Month Trait-Based Writing Instruction" by Walther and Phillips. It was recommended to me by my grade level team. I like it, but like everything else there's a lot in there and no time to do it all. More experienced teachers in other grades use Houghton Mifflin and they tell me it covers what we need to cover in the Common Core. My grade level team doesn't agree, they use the readers that come with the kit but teach other skills using "Reading Cafe."
    I haven't tried Sleep Monk but I do love Stumptown. Excited to learn with you too! How small are classes in WA?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I find that I always end up straying from any writing curriculum...it is the one area I can't seem to keep up with because my class really dictates what I teach...

    Classes in WA (when I left last year -- K-3), were about 20! I had a 1-2 split with 29 all year - and 6 came/left. It was my hardest year in teaching!!! Sleepy Monk is yummy! It is a small company in Cannon Beach, OR that brews coffee - try it some time! Stumptown is one of my favs!! I especially like to go downtown and drink a special coffee occasionally ;)

    ReplyDelete