Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Assignment Seven: Student Writing Conference

ASSIGNMENT SEVEN: Student Writing Conference - Choose one or two children (classroom students, relatives, neighbors...) to conduct an informal conference with. You may choose to use one of Regie’s formats, your own or the one below, which I use in a conferring notebook. You need to find a system that will work for you. Example 1 (and below) is the format I use for each writing conference that I hold with students. Keep in mind that while you are conferring with students, the majority of other students should be writing!

(Note: If you aren’t currently teaching please find a school-age child to do a conference with. We believe you will find it is worth the effort.) 


Student Name:                                                     Date:

? (Question- Teacher asks)- “What are you
working on today in your writing?”

C (Compliment)- Compliment the student on one
strategy they are using well.

TP (Teaching Point)- What is one
strategy/point/goal you can teach this student to
move them forward?

FNT (For Next Time)- What needs to be a focus
during the next conference/what were set goals?


ASSIGNMENT SEVEN: After completing your one or two conferences, please reflect on how well they went and how they will impact your whole group, small group and independent instruction in your classroom. Post your reflective response to the blog.

3 comments:

  1. Assignment Seven: Student Writing Conference

    I conducted a conference with Natalirose, a third grader who struggles with connecting letter sounds combined to form blends, digraphs and diphthongs.
    She wrote a short piece on what makes a good teacher. She started out with her main opinion: “Teachers should help us if we have trouble. Who wants a mean teacher?” She then proceeded with great details about a bullying incident, involving being choked (!), pushed down hard stairs (!), and being prevented from using the sllde. There had been no apparent consequence for the perpetrator. “She just let him run away. If I were the teacher, I would put him in detention.”
    I complimented her on the structure of her persuasive flow, great details, and voice. What I focused on was the closure. I explained how the last sentence was a “feeling” sentence that served as a “bow tied around a present,” a closing connection with the reader. Natalirose closed with: “I like to feel safe at school.”

    I applied Regie’s simple rubric for persuasive writing in this lesson:
    • Opening lead that states purpose.
    • Position statement with supporting arguments.
    • Closing summary.

    For the next conference, I will write a short informational piece with Natalirose present, using Regie’s three-part rubric, and focus again on wrapping it up with an ending that connects to the reader. Natalie can then write a short piece on her favorite foods. She is very interested in food and has a lot to say about her likes and dislikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Student #1: C.B.

    ?: I asked “What are you working on today?” He stated, “A story about friends playing video games.”

    C: “Great job of using periods accurately.” After this comment he immediately realized that he had left a period out of his last sentence and fixed it.

    TP: Letter reversal of his p’s and g’s is something that he was doing quite a bit in this piece, and it was causing confusion when he was reading his story to me. Thinking his g’s were actually p’s. So I suggested that his focus be on writing his letters the correct way, and also look at the alphabet charts for help when needed.

    FNT: Review letter formation and look over letter reversals.


    Student #2: E.M.

    ?: I asked “What are you working on today?” She stated, “A story about me and my friend.”

    C: “Great job of using spaces accurately. I am able to see where one word starts and ends, which helps me read your words accurately.”

    TP: After E. began to read aloud, she realized that many of her words did not have enough letters to make them readable, or her words were in the wrong spot in the sentence. This made it very difficult for her, and her story did not make sense. So I suggested that her focus needs to be on rereading after each sentence that she writes.

    FNT: Review how rereading can help writers, and how and when to do it.


    I enjoyed completing these two conferences. In the past when I have done conferences they usually involve taking notes without a clear focus. I liked this format because it was easy to follow, yet gave me great information on the two students I conferenced with. Looking over the teaching points will help guide my large group instruction. For example, if I notice several students needing support with spaces between words, I would lead a whole group lesson surrounding this topic and reteach the importance of spaces between words. Writing conferences have always been a goal of mine, yet I have never really had a good format. I am looking forward to continuing conferences with all of my students through the remainder of the school year, and throughout years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jean,
    What a powerful closing Natalirose came up with. Wow. How awful she experienced those things. I think your plan for the next time you meet is good. Plus, I love food, a lot! :) Who wouldn't have an opinion on food??? :D

    Hi Leslie,
    Sounds like great conferences. Glad you liked the format. We do as well! Good luck with the rest of your conferences this year!

    ReplyDelete