Sunday, February 16, 2014

Assignment Five: Written Reflection- Section Three

This is a packed section! To keep the blog manageable for everyone to read and respond...just comment on what's most relevant to you!  Please keep your comments brief and to the one alloted post per person.

ASSIGNMENT FIVE: WRITTEN REFLECTION-Section Three- The Essential Writing Day Chapters 7-10


Chapter 7: Be Efficient and Integrate Basic Skills
• How might we integrate skill work into student writing rather than teaching it in isolation?
• Daily Oral Language exercises – THEY DON’T WORK!!!
• The importance of focusing on meaning and quality first
• All writing needs both a PURPOSE and an AUDIENCE
• How thinking aloud can make your teaching more explicit
• Teaching WRITING – not just the language of writing (process, process, process)
• What about writing standards? In your District and State?
• Key writing minilessons
• Revision – how to get students to care about it
• Letting kids in on the secret that – Yes! – Conventions do matter!
• How can we effectively use word walls?

In Chapter 7, suitably titled “Be Efficient and Integrate Basic Skills,” Regie gets to the heart of what so many teachers struggle with: “Fitting it all in!!!” Many of the elementary teachers that we work with are beginning to feel as though their personal motto is: “Jack of all trades; master of none.” We just don’t have the time to teach well what has to be taught. The only answer to this problem is to modify our instruction so it agrees with Regie’s stance that isolated skill work (such as Friday spelling tests, DOL, grammar worksheets…) will not help our students grow into writers (or readers.) On page 144, Regie shares four components for an integrated Writing Workshop:

1. Identify writing genres that would interest students (and meet district requirements)
2. Decide who the audience would be for each piece of writing.*
3. Model your own writing process and show students how you struggle.
4. Have students share writing regularly (for both celebration and great teaching moments.)
*This created the biggest change in my own class’s writing - once my students began to write with an audience in mind, the quality of writing shot right up!

Regie also gets to the heart of what writing with “voice” really is and addresses how to teach children to write with an honest voice in their own writing. She describes voice as “the writer’s unique personality on paper, his own melody in words, her ‘mark’ as an individual. To write with voice, the writer has to be interested in the writing.” We think that many teachers and students are unclear as to how to add true voice to their writing. Regie suggests, “Voice is in the details – but details that show the real person and story behind the words, not just details for the sake of adding more words…”

Integrating those isolated editing skills such as grammar, punctuation, and spelling into our writing will increase the efficiency of our instruction. Bottom line – if the students care about their writing, are writing for a specific audience, and understand that “the importance of editing (and spelling conventionally) is to make their message clear and easy to read for their audience – or reader, they take this job seriously and work hard at making their writing clear.”

Chapter 8: Organize for Daily Writing
• What is our definition of Writing Workshop? What does Regie say?
• How can we have student choice within a structure?
• The importance of writing talk (teachers and students)
• The ultimate nightmare for all of us…scheduling…finding the time to write everyday
• The importance of routines, organization and modeling expected behavior
• Genre study – why it’s important to have both school-wide and district-wide conversations
• The possibilities within genres

Figuring out a way to “fit it all in” is usually one of the most frustrating things many of us face. It starts at the beginning of the year as we first plan our daily schedule and continues throughout the remainder of the year. Considering how you will create your schedule to include a solid chunk of time for both reading and writing will probably be the most stressful piece to the start of your year.

Create a Comprehensive Literacy Framework: Play with your time and consider what changes you might make in your daily literacy framework for next year. Take a look at the samples that Regie provides on pages 185-187 for some possibilities. You do not have to post your schedule, but we believe this is a worthwhile activity to complete on your own.


Chapter 9: Conference with Students
• What is the purpose of a Writing Conference?
• What are the different types of Writing Conferences?
• How can Share be used effectively?
• How to conduct a productive conference
• What about management and routines?

We are so glad that this chapter talks about Share during Writer’s Workshop. Too often this component is skipped by teachers who feel there isn’t enough time in the day to “fit it all in.” However, it’s a vital piece of the workshop and beneficial to all the students. Share sessions are an additional time to teach. The teachers in my school are quite comfortable using Share as their mini-lesson if the need arises. Given the reality of daily schedules they were finding that they couldn’t have a mini-lesson, confer and share everyday. They then realized that their Shares sometimes were the minilessons. For more information about Share we recommend looking at Leah Mermelstein’s Don’t Forget To Share: The Crucial Last Step in the Writing Workshop. In this slim book, Leah explains in detail four types of Share: Content Share, Craft Share, Process Share and Progress Share.

The “Tips for Successful Whole-Class Shares and Conferences” on page 215 are excellent ones to keep in mind. The bottom line for Conferences and Shares is that students should feel successful and want to continue to write. Make sure what you say to the child encourages them to keep on writing. “The conference is secondary; the student as writer and confident learner is primary.”


Chapter 10: Make Assessment Count
• Understanding how rubrics work
• What about Test Prep? THE BEST TEST PREP IS EXCELLENT TEACHING!
• How can we collect reliable data on students’ writing throughout the day?
• Guidelines for grading and providing evidence for parents, administrators and the public

“There is lots of writing assessment going on these days, but little of it actually improves the quality of students’ writing.” As Regie continues she points out that this ‘assessment’ “is seldom used to improve daily instruction.” This chapter is about becoming more knowledgeable about assessments. Regie notes, that unless teachers know how to teach writing well, it can be a waste of time to examine students’ writing and place students on a writing continuum. She encourages you, as a staff to “write together, study together, converse together, gather school-wide data, analyze these data and set goals for improving writing instruction. There is no shortcut to helping students become effective writers and there is no program you can buy that will do it for you.”

Remember to use rubrics judiciously and not overdo it. They should be “used as an evaluation tool, not as the driving instructional force.” “Use professional common sense. It is not advisable to apply rubrics to ALL writing nor to score ALL writing. Just as our students need lots of practice reading many texts without the expectation that they will be assessed on everything they read, they need lots of practice writing without being assessed on everything they write.” (Page 243)

Have your students do a lot of writing! “Extensive writing across the curriculum as part of an excellent writing program is the best preparation for doing well on (standardized) tests. Readers have to read avidly to become readers and the same holds true for writers. Kids who write a lot develop higher-order thinking and understanding that translates to higher achievement on all types of tests.” Be sure to check out “Try It Apply It” on page 246 and throughout the chapter for ideas to incorporate into your program.

As Regie points out in this chapter, “The joy has gone out of writing.” We need to “concentrate on developing kids as learners rather than kids as test takers.”

4 comments:

  1. While reading Chapter 7, the idea of deciding who the audience will be for each piece really stuck out to me. While I often design assignments with an initial idea for an audience or a plan of where the writing will be posted, I realize that many times those plans are not communicated to my students and they sometimes never happen. This reading made me realize the importance of defining that and letting my students know what will happen with their writing when it is completed. Why does the writing matter if it ends up just sitting in a file folder somewhere? From here on out, I want to ensure that not only do my students know who we are writing for but that we also follow through on the plans upon completion of the writing.

    I also really enjoyed the comments on voice and the definition of what “voice” really is. I have noticed that some of my students have started copying another student’s writing style. The student they are copying has a very distinct way of writing that is humorous and entertaining. I have seen that the student’s who are trying to copy him are starting to develop their own styles as they totally copy his voice because it is very unique to him.

    I found myself thinking of particular students as I read the chapter on conferencing with students. This last week, we were working on writing pieces about the Olympics and a student I was working with became stuck on correctly spelling the word “think”. I realize now that I had an opportunity to work with her on content but that I did not ask the right sort of questions to help encourage her to focus on the content rather than the spelling. I also realized how conferencing with students can help me collect data on my students’ writing, which has been something I struggle with. Data is such an important part of special education and I believe notes on student conferences can help me to improve my data for my students’ writing IEP goals.

    I related with Regie’s comments on standardized assessments. While I know they are a way to report what my students have learned, I don’t think they provide enough information to help improve instruction. My students tend to get nervous about tests so I don’t do a ton of practice with them because I think it hinders their performance. Instead, we work on learning the skills they will be assessed on to the best of their ability (knowing that my students are all below grade level and have to be assessed on grade level standards) and then take the tests with the instruction to do the best that they can. I like the idea of having my students come up with their own rubric to use on some of their writing samples because I think that will help them buy into it more than if I provided one. While I don’t currently and don’t plan to assess all of their writing, I think it will be beneficial for my students to have a better understanding of what adults look for in their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    There is a lot in this section. :) It's wonderful that thinking about the audience and sharing it with your students will be forefront in your mind and planning. I would even share with your students that you are taking a writing instruction class and learned (or was reminded) to really think about audience and purpose. I truly believe the level and quality of your students' writing will improve with them writing for real purposes and readers. :D

    Yes, having students "copy" or be inspired by other writers is an excellent way to help them grow in their skill. This was really frowned upon for a number of years but it is an excellent method for students to try out different styles and if they need the support and framework of someone elses (expert author or classmate) style then I'm all for it. In fact, if we do a shared writing and the student wants or needs my copy at their desk I'll happily hand it over for them to refer to or get a copy of a book for them to reference. When I first started teaching I'd never do this as I thought of it as "copying." :D

    As someone who isn't the strongest speller in the world I frequently share with my students that their ideas are the most imporant thing to get down before they forget BUT it is their job to make sure that their final piece is understandable for their audience and as clear of errors and mistakes as possible. If they need to have a friend or teacher read it over to be sure it makes sense then that is their responsibility to remember and they owe it to their readers.

    I agree, I don't like to make a big deal about testing, though it's something we all need to live with. Students do like to create their own rubrics and it does help them to buy in to using it. Often they have better ideas or are harder on themselves than we would be. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The big idea of chapter 7, to integrate spelling, grammar and conventions into authentic writing connects with the earlier chapter on maximizing the reading-writing connection. I do find that when we’re reading a morning message (something that matters to us as we begin our day together) or some other shared writing, so many opportunities present themselves - the tricky part is to know what to grab on to and what to let go. Otherwise I could overwhelm my students, I think. Since I’ve been so focused on this book, I am more aware of the power and efficiency of this and so I am noticing these opportunities and also noticing how my students respond. When we’re writing or reading something that is of value to all of us, they are much more invested in what will help it make sense and convey our message. They are also invested in noticing word parts, having ideas about more interesting words, revising for clarity, etc. I find this very exciting because it feels real, rather than just passing out a worksheet and asking everyone to “practice.”

    I feel that paying attention to audience is so important and I know that I often forget to make this clear – who are we writing for? Oftentimes it’s ourselves, in which case I need to make that real by providing time for writers to share. I recently went back to some writing my students completed for our space unit and asked them if they thought we could compile it into a class book. They loved the idea and it made that writing come alive for them again. They had several excellent suggestions for how to organize the class books that led to conversations about what would be best for the reader – what would make sense for them? Yes! This was a “found moment” and I was so grateful.

    I appreciate some additional tips for using word walls and other spelling resources. I usually have these available but, because I don’t do enough modeling about how and when to use them, no one ever uses them. We rely too heavily on invented spelling, which I feel is very, very important, but they need to be accountable for so many of the words that are available in the classroom. This year, I have student names on the “word wall.” I intended to keep adding words but it just hasn’t happened. I am always surprised at how often my students refer to that word wall – referring to spelling patterns, thinking about letter sounds, for writing notes and letters. They also have personal dictionaries and lists of “no excuse” words. I need to help those come alive for them the way the name word wall has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is exciting! Our enthusiasm and contagious and students pick up on it! Maybe you could even bring the space book a step further by picking a Kinder class to share it with. So it's not just a random reader but a specific group of students on a certain date.

    Students absolutely pay more attention to grammar, convention and clarity when they are invested in the writing and it's connected to them. :)

    Good luck with that word wall. Many teachers share they are inspired to start using their wall (either again or differently.) :)

    ReplyDelete