Sunday, October 27, 2013

Assignment Four: Written Reflection

ASSIGNMENT FOUR: WRITTEN REFLECTION-Section Two- Teaching Essentials Chapters 4-6

Read Writing Essentials, Chapters 4-6 and BRIEFLY reflect on the following thoughts written below and any additional comments that you have after reading these chapters. Post your reflection to the course blog.

Chapter 4: Raise Your Expectations
• Why we need to raise expectations – ESPECIALLY for our minority and lower socio-economic students
• How to raise expectations in your classrooms as well as in your grade level and throughout your entire building
• What about handwriting, spelling and editing expectations?
• How to use the Optimal Learning Model to support your students’ needs

“Raising expectations” for our students is a big push in all of our districts. Under “No Child Left Behind” many schools have been identified as “in need of improvement” and have been working furiously yet unsuccessfully for over ten years to “close the gap” for our minority children. But more important than improving performance on high stakes tests is remembering that if we raise our expectations and teach explicitly, then our students will rise to the occasion and astonish us with the high quality work that each of them is capable of.

Regie has some great insight into the need to raise expectations of our students and feeling comfortable and confident with the decision to set high standards for all learners. She raises the question, What are our clearly articulated, rigorous yet reasonable expectations? This is a question that we should reflect on as individual teachers, and one that should be the starting point for a conversation within our grade levels, buildings and across entire districts.

We’d like to know what you think of one of our favorite quotes from the book: “Worksheets aren’t good enough. The students who can do them don’t need them, and the ones who struggle with them feel defeated by the red marks, which only reinforce their feelings of inadequacy. WORKSHEETS FOSTER MEDIOCRITY!” (We personally wanted to shout out when we read that!) Please include your thoughts in your Section Two Reaction.

In this chapter, Regie also sheds some light on several topics that teachers often ask about. “What about handwriting expectations?” and “Conventions, Editing and Publishing?” It’s always helpful to get another professional’s point of view on these pressing issues! Enjoy the chapter!

Chapter 5: Do More Shared Writing• Where does Shared Writing fit within the Optimal Learning Model?
• For which learners is Shared Writing appropriate?
• How can we link Shared Writing with Shared Reading?
• How can Shared Writing be used to support word work?
• What are some “Tried and True” ideas for Shared Writing?

Regie's idea of Shared Writing is very different than that of many other professionals in the field. So often we use Shared Writing only with the primary grades. As Regie states, “What a great way to teach and engage all students in all aspects of oral and written language.” If we are to consider teaching through all phases of the Optimal Learning Model, we can begin to see how important Shared Writing is for our students. We think that the idea of using Shared Writing in both upper elementary and the middle schools is a new way of thinking for many of us.

One of the reasons Regie encourages teachers to use chart paper and an easel, instead of projecting to a screen with an overhead or document camera, is that the children are seated right with you on the floor, which usually holds the children’s attention a little better. Another idea that has worked great for me is to move the overhead machine to the group area and place it on the floor in the middle of the group in front of the easel. I then project the machine onto the white space of the easel. It’s great because you’re able to be right there in the middle of the group and have the benefit of writing more quickly onto a transparency rather that chart paper. You’ll need to consider which of your Shared Writing activities you’ll want students to be rereading (don’t forget that you can hole punch transparencies and put them in a binder for future reference) and which you may want posted to your walls on charts.

Regie’s list of “Tried and True Ideas for Shared Writing” (page 112) is very extensive. It would be helpful to take a look at Regie’s list as you create your curriculum map for the year. Where would some of her suggestions fit within your science, social studies, math, reading and writing units across the year?

Chapter 6: Capitalize on the Reading-Writing Connection
• How can we become more effective integrating our reading and writing instruction?
• Are we as efficient as possible with our responses to reading?
• The benefit and necessity to integrate our content area teaching with both reading and writing
• The importance of writing (and reading) more nonfiction

We know research shows that reading achievement affects writing achievement and vice-versa, and we also know that it continually gets harder to fit “it all” into our day. Effectively using reading and writing connections throughout the day in all areas of language arts, math, science, social studies, and even specials such as art, music and library, is our only option.

Regie’s suggestion of taking a closer look at how we use written response to reading is a very important one. Careful consideration is needed to decide if what we’re asking the students to do is “worth their time.” For example, if the response we’re looking for will “deepen comprehension, cause the writer to reflect on the content, and/or foster appreciation for the text” then it’s worth it. We whole-heartedly agree with her statement that many of the overly structured assignments such as book reports can alienate our readers! While response journals do have their benefits for us professionally Regie states, “they also take up a lot of our time!” It’s a very organized teacher who can effectively keep up with their responses without feeling overwhelmed and frustrated. Don’t forget the bottom line – “Be sure that students spend more time reading than writing about reading!” (Page 126)

We are so glad that Regie addressed how to effectively teach summary writing. We know that many teachers have a difficult time differentiating between a summary and retelling – I (Jackie) was one of them until several years ago. The snapshots and procedures that Regie shares on how to teach summarizing are invaluable and should be a reference that we all refer back to throughout our teaching year.

6 comments:

  1. Chapter 4
    We definitely need to raise expectations for our minority and lower socio-economic students. One book that I have found extremely helpful in this area is Eric Jensen's “Teaching With Poverty in Mind.” I have come to realize that I do have low expectations for some of my students. At times I let me students get away with sloppy handwriting and messy illustrations even though they are capable. I have been thinking about how I can raise expectations in my classroom in those areas without squashing their confidence or taking the joy out of writing. I am thinking one of the best ways to do this is through editing and revising. I can have students fix up and change their writing and work with them in shared groups to publish writing that is perfect. As to the quote- I agree completely. I don't think I need to add much commentary to the quote as it is pretty succinct. I always go back to the fact that good writers write. Worksheets take away from time students could be writing.

    Chapter 5
    My School's “curriculum” is balanced literacy using the workshop model. I haven't really found any differences between this and what Regie suggests. We call her Optimal Learning Model the Gradual Release Model. I teach primary where Shared Writing is usually found and have found it to be great for my students. I loved all of the different suggestions and ideas. I will definitely be using those as a resource. I am going to be starting some new word work on Monday using word sorts. I love the idea of doing this through what they are learning about or reading about in class. I often choose my shared reading books in a way that allows me to use them for writing as well. This week I was even able to have students write word problems in math using character and setting. It was so nice to have students put everything they have been learning about in different subjects to use.

    Chater 6
    I have been using reading response journals this year more and in more meaningful ways. The students have been writing in them almost every day. At they end of reading and writing we have a sharing time. This has been a great way for students to show how they have been using the reading-writing connection. It has also given them ideas for their own writing by asking questions about books they are reading. Sometimes I suggest that they write the next book after the author's book to answer their questions in a way that makes sense to them. They enjoy doing that. I agree that responding to reading can take more time than we have and I find that having the sharing time and commenting on students' responses is a more efficient system for me. It keeps me from being frustrated with not having time to do it after work. With Common Core I have noticed that I really do need to make sure I include enough nonfiction and have students spend enough time writing nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just going to repeat it because I love it. :D “Good writers write. Worksheets take away from time to write.”

    Yes, the OLM, gradual release of responsibility, I do, you do we do, etc… all are the same thing. My only problem with the “I do, we do, you do” is that I feel it gives teachers the impression that it’s only three parts… but really the “we do” is the teacher doing with the student helping AND THEN the student doing with the teacher helping before they move to independent practice.

    I love that you had your students writing word problems using character and setting. Teaching across the curriculum is the only way to “fit it all in.”

    The sharing time for the journals is a great way to check-in with the students and not have to take them all home. Plus, I imagine, more meaningful for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assignment four: Chapters 4-6

    Chapter 4
    Letting our students know what we expect is an important job. When we expect more, we receive more. Within small groups I make sure students know what words are the “no excuse” words. These words should always be spelled correctly. They have a list on the table and they use the list for spelling. Another strategy is to praise a student’s handwriting and then the others miraculously start writing neater. One strategy I will add is telling the students that it is disrespectful to the reader to write sloppy. It will be explained that they need to write their best for their audience.
    I agree with “worksheets foster mediocrity.” So often we have worksheets that one student will use as “busy work,” while another student will need someone to, pretty much, give them the answers. Often writing worksheets are skills that you either know or you haven’t been taught yet. Not every student can pull on background knowledge or use materials to find answer without support. It is much more productive to model and teach these strategies through reading and writing within the group. Students need to see examples and understand why writers do what they do. This is a difficult job and these chapters gave us several ideas to support better writing.

    Modeling and offering many opportunities for writing will be a must. Modeling is something I don’t always find the time to do often enough. I will keep the demonstration short and make sure most time is spent on the students doing the writing. Another addition will be shared demonstrations. I will collaborate with strong and weak writers. This will help everyone feel success and help solidify the writing process.

    Chapter 5
    There are many reasons to use shared writing. It allows input from students, while we shape their thoughts. The verbal exchange allows challenged students to hear rich language. It also allows key ideas to be given by students that don’t have rich vocabulary. Everyone has an opportunity to feel success and helpful to the class.
    I loved some of the encouraging words Regie suggested: “Am I understanding you?” “Take your time, what you have to say is important.”
    Using strategies while writing is much more enjoyable than a worksheet. Having students read a sentence with you and making corrections together allows them to take ownership. Choosing one or two strategies to work on makes the process less overwhelming.
    Taking the writing that the class produced and making sentences strips and close reading assignments was a fantastic idea. The students will be excited seeing their own work in print. I also loved the posted posters of “What good writers do” on page 117. This will make reminders quick and easy to access.

    Chapter 6

    Truthfully, this chapter gave me permission to read more books within my small groups. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn’t take up that writing time by reading a book. I make verbal references to how a writer will do something, but it is much easier to read and show my students. I will be adding more reading into my writing group and I think I may try the little notebook idea for comprehension. They will love writing in a little book. The little pages will make writing less overwhelming for them. One of my main jobs is to add more language and vocabulary to memory banks and what better way?
    I will use more nonfiction books and have my students summarize and write details down on paper. I will have them draw quick sketches and important facts in their little notebooks. This will hopefully transfer over to them having more success in other subjects in the regular classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chapter 4
    I fully agree that we need to set our expectations high because it never sasses to amaze me that when I set high expectations, my students reach it! (Or get pretty close to it.) Many teachers do not set high expectations for our students (the students we share) because they assume they cannot do what they are expecting their peers to do. I loved Regie’s comment to the teacher, “I didn’t know he couldn’t”. We should NEVER assume! I also agree with the statement about worksheets. I believe that worksheets are for practice, not learning. If students are not able to do the task independently, than they can not be expected to learn it from a worksheet.

    I liked that Regie validated teachers concerns for handwriting. As a special education teacher I hear a lot of that. I do believe that students need to work on their handwriting when it is not legible, but if it is than it should surface. Writing is about the content/ideas, not handwriting skills. I do have some students who have physical limitations with handwriting, thus we make accommodations for them such as dictation or typing.

    Chapter 5
    I loved learning more about shared writing! It was great to see an example in action to really understand how it should be done in the classroom. I want to go observe in some of the teachers classrooms that I work with so that I can see how they are teaching so I know what our students are being exposed to. The students we share need even more shared writing examples than their peers. If they are not getting the shared writing experience, than that is what I really need to do to support their writing.

    I have been thinking as to how to present a shared writing session. I normally seat my students in a U shaped table with three to four students at a time. I am wondering if a carpet seating may work better or if the small group works fine at a table? I think I may try the carpet out. I also want to expand my writing topics by using some of Regie’s Tried and True ideas for shared writing. I think that will be a great starting point to pick a few of those to generate ideas for my groups to start us on doing a shared writing with a purpose and audience in mind.

    Chapter 6
    This is my second year as teaching in a resource room model. I am still learning how to integrate different subjects to serve my students best. I see how writing is such a part of reading and vise versa. My school currently is looking at a new adoption for a new reading program that is aligned with the common core. One class per grade level is piloting a reading program which, from what I have seen of it, has a large writing component embedded into it. I have seen students doing writing with their vocabulary words, spelling, and using different strategies and types of writing to respond or expand on what they have read. I do not know how much teaching has gone along with it, but teachers are reporting being pleased with these components. In the mean time, I need to work on using the reading program I use in the resource room (which is completely different than what our core reading program is) to expand into our writing time. I liked the suggestions Regie made of using book blurbs, word work, respond to silent reading, and summaries. I think I’ll start with shared writing using book blurbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leah,

    So many of us feel the time crunch that it is easy to let the modeling fall off the map. It’s the reminders from courses, texts, workshops, webinars, etc… that helps us refocus our efforts in this area. ☺

    I also liked Regie’s encouraging phrases. Your students will love seeing their writing used for instruction!

    Hi Tia,

    This is where I love staff meetings that share students’ work. When the staff sees what a “struggling” or “identified” student is able to achieve, it’s sort of a wake-up call for them to raise the bar. “If so-and-so can do this or get these results, then my students def. can.”
    I also love Regie’s statement, “I didn’t know he couldn’t.” When I first started teaching (back in the day :D) I never wanted to read students’ records or hear what “problems” the previous teachers were passing on to me. I always wanted the students to start with a blank slate and fresh start and form my own opinion. I assumed that they could do the work and would behave. ☺ This system has worked well for me in my career.

    I like to have the students on the floor with me by an easel. But you can absolutely also do it at a table or using a projector. I like to have them in close by me when we write. I also like writing on chart paper. As much as I love document cameras, I want them to see the paper and pen and the actual writing process.

    So glad that you are getting immediate ideas to try with your students!

    ReplyDelete