Thursday, December 1, 2011

Assignment Nine: Final Course Reflection

Assignment Nine: Final Course Reflection

(All assignments are due by 12/5!!!)

Take a look at the last section in Regie's text, Writing Essentials, it's chock full of great resources!!!

Teaching in Action: Lesson Essentials 5 Day Lesson Plans & Appendices
• Secrets of Second Graders• Heart Poems
• Procedural writing• Hero writing
• Persuasive writing
• Appendix survey

Be sure to look through this section. If you haven’t already done so, look at Appendix A (page A-2.) Re-examine your beliefs about writing by re-reading the statements about the writing process and marking true or false in your book. Did you change any of your previous answers? Would you consider bringing this page to your team or even to your entire school to jump-start discussions about writing? Take some time to look through the appendices. There are several useful examples included. One we’d like to point out to you is Appendix L- The Genre Characteristics Excerpt on page A-13. Look to the Writing Essentials companion website at www.heinemann.com/writingessentials for the entire chart as well as directions to assist you playing the DVD.

ASSIGNMENT NINE: Final Course Reflection - Critically examine your current literacy program and develop realistic goals to improve your instruction. Also reflect on the balance between your home and school life. If our students are to become happy, literate people, they need happy, balanced teachers. BRIEFLY, share several of your goals with the class by posting them to the blog for this final assignment.

Thanks for taking our course!!!! Jackie & Mary!

3 comments:

  1. Our schools reading curriculum is Treasures. When it comes to writing, it outlines a day by bay lesson, but there is little room for creativity. I want to look past using graphic organizers to have students brainstorm. I still wish to teach them the concept, but I would like to give them a choice between listing their thoughts or bubbling them. I have already changed the way we write in journals, by having my class respond to a question from a book we just read during read a loud. I respond to their journals individually and I believe that has improved their eagerness to write because they are writing to me. It is difficult for me to try and not pressure sentence structure, but my goal is to have free writing/ writing to a question, during journaling. Also, to promote independence in spelling, teaching them to sound it out and underline it and move on.

    I came into teaching with a son. I always had the priority of home first and classroom second. It has allowed me to be a better teacher, I feel because I do not wear myself thin. In my first two years of teaching there were times when I felt guilty for not staying after school to grade papers or get ready for the day, but my son was always more important. Now, that I am married with three children, I feel more balance and accept that not everything is going to get done and the students will still learn, as long as I am there happy and connected to their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goals for writing in my classroom:

    MODEL following the OLM during writing instruction

    o Write class publications
    o Use shared writing
    o Teach summarizing

    CELEBRATE through sharing and showcasing student writing

    o Sharing from the front of the room with me beside the author in order to give feedback and make it a time for teaching
    o Creating a bulletin board in our class to display work we are proud of

    CONFERENCE to drive instruction and help support each of my students

    o Roving conferences
    o One-on-one conferences

    MAKE EVERY MINUTE COUNT 

    My work as a teacher is never done. There are always papers to grade, lessons to plan, new books to read, meetings to attend, emails to read and respond to, and the list goes on and on. However, my work as a mother is also never done. There are always practices to go to, games to cheer at, dinner to make, homework to help with, housework to do, bedtime stories to read, and the list goes on and on. I feel, at times, that I need to be spending more time with one or the other but I know that I have a pretty good balance of both. I’m sitting here now, with a pile of papers that I need to grade and a load of laundry that I need to fold, knowing that whether they get done or not will not get in the way of the effort that I will put into both of my jobs tomorrow. While I can wish for more hours in each day I will have to settle with knowing that I put my whole heart into both jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent ending points ladies! It sounds as both of you have a healthy balance between work and home. You've completed all the assignments and earned an A for the course. Have a great holiday and a happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete